Thursday, August 04, 2005

A New Kind of Tired

Usually at this point in the CSM summer, we are tired. Several weeks of hosting dozens of junior and senior high school students takes its toll!

But today, I felt a new kind of tired, one that I hadn't really felt yet in my three years here in San Francisco. Strangely enough, though, it wasn't the first time I felt it. I remember a distinct period back in late 1997 and early 1998 (AKA my senior year of high school) when I was tired like this. At the time, I was tired of homework that I felt was too easy, tired of cliques and flings, tired of high school. Hey, I didn't even turn in my application to Hope (the college I wound up going to) because there were essay questions!

That feeling came again four years later, during my senior year at Hope. I loved Hope, don't get me wrong, but I was tired. Tired of homework (although no complaints about difficulty this time!), tired of the pressure to marry, tired of dorm life. I was ready to move on, and along came CSM, which became my gateway into what the post-college world would be like.

Today, the past three years hit me like a brick wall. I was tired of shopping for a hundred people per week. Tired of answering the same questions from annoying junior highers. Tired of the frustrations of dealing with forgetful interns. Today, I had absolutley no motivation to do much of anything, work-related or otherwise.

If you couldn't tell, I'm ready to be done. It's a good thing that with the way I'm feeling, there are only 26 days left before leaving San Franciso...but who's counting, right?

4 comments:

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Natalie said...

I completely understand Chris, I was the same way my last month with CSM. Yes, I loved working there, but the day-to-day stuff, I was just beyond ready to be done with. And because there was so much to look forward to in the future after CSM! Hang in there, I'll be praying for you as you transition out, at first it's great, like "free at last", but then it hits you a few weeks/months later, so I pray you meet up with and reconnect with everyone you want to before your time ends there.

Anonymous said...

This kind of tired... something for me to look forward to :)

I've almost survived, Chris Winkler! Tonight was the farewell host dinner and only 2 more weeks of tiny groups. I can't believe the summer's gone!

See you in SC, Megan B.

Anonymous said...

I fell summer creeping in
and I'm tired of this town again...