Saturday, August 27, 2005

Ace Pitchers and Missionaries


Jason Schmidt!
Originally uploaded by Chris Winkler.
I love baseball. Nothing beats being at a professional baseball game, with the sights, sounds and smells that can only come from the ol' ball park. I grew up loving the Tigers (thanks to Mom and Dad for making the five-hour drive at least once a year). My brief stay in Chicago made me a Cubs fan. And now I'm an Oakland A's fan.

But today, due to the A's being out of town and the offer of free tickets to the Giants game, I headed out to SBC Park here in San Francisco. A beautiful day for baseball with three good friends, and my passion for the sport was flamed yet again.

Once the game ended, though, the fun wasn't over. We had gotten the tickets courtesy Jason Schmidt, the Giant's ace pitcher and today's starter. He provides tickets for inner city kids (1600 so far this year) to a ministry with which we work, and then comes out and talks to the kids after the game. My co-worker Leigh Anna and I took up our ministry partner's invitation to meet Jason during this time.

Getting over our nerves, we were able to carry on a conversation with him--just three normal people, meeting for the first time. He is a very nice man (and a Christian!), and seemed genuinely interested in my future career with Wycliffe. He posed for photos and signed autographs (unfortunately, the photo with me didn't turn out), after what had already been a long day for him. Kudos and many thanks to Jason!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! Even though I'm an A's fan, I've always been a Jason Schmidt fan after I heard he was a Christian. It's surprising actually how many there are in baseball...

Maybe you can sign him up as a sponser when you go to Wycliffe?? :-)