Tuesday, August 30, 2005

All Aboard!


All Aboard!
Originally uploaded by Chris Winkler.
A few hours ago, I boarded an Amtrak train in Emeryville (next to Oakland) and left the San Francisco Bay Area after three years. It’s kind of a weird thing: I’m moving, but won’t actually be at my final destination (somewhere in the developing world) until sometime in the middle of next year. Heck, I won’t even be in Michigan for another month and a half. But the fact of that matter is that I am no longer in SF. I polished things off last night by winning my SFUL game (now it’s on to the beer bracket championships, though they’ll have to do it without me) and then on to a bonfire at Ocean Beach.

The weather could not have been better for both events. I always tell visitors that SF is not a beach town; residents who want to hit a beach drive two hours south to Santa Cruz. It’s just too cold, windy and foggy. But last night was absolutely perfect: warm, with no wind or fog. I couldn’t stay long (packing awaited me), but had a good time saying goodbye to former roommate Ryan and enjoying the sunset over the Pacific Ocean--something that I ironically have not done much of, even though I only live a few miles from it.

At the moment, I’m listening to great music, enjoying the scenery of the Central Valley, without much of a care in the world.

No comments: