Friday, April 14, 2006

Back to Urban Ministry

I don't think God has called me to be in urban ministry full-time. Hence, the reason I am no longer working for CSM.

However, I do miss it. I miss hanging out with people without a roof over their heads at night, people with amazing stories of war and faith and drugs, people who simply want someone to talk to. I miss the chaos of a soup kitchen trying to serve dozens, or thousands, of hungry guests. I miss seeing the dedicated staff of inner-city ministries, hard at work in difficult situations.

Today, I got the chance to dabble again in ministry to people that are homeless. The Orlando Union Rescue Mission held their annual Easter banquet this afternoon. I heard about it from a friend who works in the Women and Children's Division of the mission, and since it was Good Friday, I was able to volunteer.

One of the first things I noticed was that it was one of the few times that I was able to serve without having to worry about 10-20 junior highers and making sure they were safe, had enough work to do, etc. It was nice to serve and interact, and not worry about much else. The staff was great, and I'd like to continue volunteering on a somewhat regular basis (once a month?).

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I know what you mean by missing the urban ministry but not feeling called to do that full time. And it is nice to volunteer on your own without making sure 15 jr. highers behind you aren't messing something up! ha!