Saturday, November 12, 2005

Sibling Look-Alike

My brother (Bradley) and I do not look alike. Or so we say. Everyone else on the planet, however, seems to think that we do. I've been to the post office here in Boyne twice in the last week. On one of my trips, a guy who actually knew both of us during our high school years (Bradley and I are over four years apart) called me "Brad."

Then this morning when I went in to the post office, the clerk says (in response to my "First class, please"), "Are you still playing?" Now, put yourselves in my shoes at this moment. When I lived in Boyne, I only played three things on a consistent basis: the saxophone, high school football and church league softball. None of them were especially notable, except for perhaps the music, but that was years ago. So in that first split-second, I had no clue what the guy was referring to.

Then it hit me. Of course, he was not thinking of my hitting skills in slow-pitch softball. He mistook me for my brother, who plays the banjo. The clerk had played in some open-mic events with Bradley, and had no doubt that I was that gifted banjo player.

I told my brother this week that this is just payback for him having to live in my shadow for so long; now it's my turn. And maybe it's finally time to admit that maybe we do look a little alike.

No comments: