Sunday, September 23, 2007

Evangelicals and the Palestinian/Israeli Conflict

I just finished reading a book about the 1967 Six Days War, which was a continuation of the Arab/Israeli conflict. Very enlightening, as I felt the book provided a balanced perspective. This is such a complicated topic that I was somewhat clueless prior to reading the book.

However, now I have a renewed interest in this issue and it seems to be good timing. Check out this video from a CNN piece. It really presents a view has not been discussed much at all but that I've felt strongly about for some time. I've learned a lot from friends--both Palestinian Christians and Messianic Jews--and I think my perspective from these experiences is similar as that being presented by the group.

Many of you reading this will be familiar with three of those interviewed (Ron Sider, Chris Seiple and Joel Hunter).

1 comment:

Little Nova said...

This is definately a hot-button issue. And while I staunchly support breaking down the barriers to create a lasting peace in Israel--I think this conflict has many dimensions. Amnesty and help are needed to rehabilitate the Palestinian people..but...Giving up territory in the West Bank to create a Palestinian State gives way to a whole new set of problems.

Beyond the obvious logistic issues of two "peaceful" states coexisting in such close proximity...A state has a right to defend itself. Can Palestine be trusted as a responsible military force in light of Hezbollah or Hamas and other radical movements that have developed within their community? Before we can even acknowledge a state, new leadership has to be implemented.

And I find it funny that the US has such a hypocritical opinion about this. I mean, we won't concede that going to Iraq was a bad idea, because we are fighting the "war on terrorism", yet we want Israel to back down to the very neighbors that have threatened their statehood since its inception.

I can't help but be disappointed by the way this "opinion" was voiced as well. Using their leadership positions to draw attention to this matter (representing millions of believers) without so much as a heads up makes them no less disdainful than the John Hagees or dogmatic christian conservatives they try to break away from.

I would recommend also reading some other sides to this: Charles Krauthammer writes a column for the Washington Post that is pretty decent.