Monday, August 28, 2006

Hurricane Faux Pas

I had a slightly embarrassing moment this morning at work which revealed my naïveté of life in Central Florida.

During our morning prayer time, we were talking about all the people that were traveling to Orlando for two different sets of meetings this week, and someone mentioned that a lot of the travel was dependent on Ernesto. Now, keep in mind that I'm new to the organization and don't know all of the key people yet. However, I really felt like I should know who Ernesto was, as he was obviously somebody important if his arrival in Orlando could hold up so many other colleagues.

And then after about two minutes of listening to this conversation, I blurt out, "Oh, he's a hurricane!" Needless to say, my co-workers got a good laugh out of it.

On a related note, I'm kind of excited to experience my first hurricane. It's very much a cultural thing down here--kind of like blizzards in northern Michigan. To keep tabs on Ernesto, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better....

...Actually, I can't think of anything that would make one living in FL feel much better after a blunder like that.

Tell Ernesto I said hi.