Sunday, March 26, 2006

Mega Churches, Small Churches

One of the main reasons I prefer small churches over mega churches was made ever more clear this week.

Last Sunday, I visited (alone) a small church that is meeting in the gym of the downtown YMCA in Orlando. Immediately, the pastor came up to me and introduced himself--he could tell that I was a newcomer to the congregation and wanted to welcome me in.

Then on Wednesday, I was attending an event at work, and was sitting with the pastor of one of the largest churches in Orlando (about 10,000 people on a Sunday). The situation was reversed. People were coming up to him and introducing themselves, informing him that they were members of his church.

This is a concept that I still struggle with. I don't think either way of "doing" church is right or wrong, but one just fits me so much better than the other. In case you're wondering where I went this week, I was back at the church at the YMCA--and received an invitation to dinner at the pastor's house tonight. :-) Click here for a little background on the church.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Glad to hear you have found a church already, that's always an answer to prayer in a new place. Check out this link, I thought of you in Orlando! http://www.local6.com/slideshow/news/8183539/detail.html?qs=1;s=1;dm=ss;p=news;w=400

sallymfisher said...

funny that the pastor's name is orlando and you live in orlando!!