Sunday, March 19, 2006

World Baseball Classic


Nate and Chris, WBC
Originally uploaded by Chris Winkler.
A few months ago, I blogged over my excitement of getting tickets to the World Baseball Classic. The game finally came, and it was well worth it! This picture is of my roommate Nate and myself at the game.

The thing that struck me was the national pride. We watched the Dominican Republic (DR) beat Australia 6-4, and the Domincan crowd was large and vocal. It almost felt like being at a soccer match. Large groups of Dominican supporters paraded through the crowd, chanting (in Spanish), singing, and draping themselves in the DR flag.

The best was near the end of the game, when a group of about 50 Dominican fans marched on top of Nate and I...literally. I've got video to prove it.

On the flip side of that, the U.S. was knocked out of the tournament early, and most observers are saying that it was due to a lack of passion. Though the DR didn't make it to the finals, it certainly wasn't because of that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! It sounds like the WBC was a much bigger deal to the other nations than it was for the US, which is too bad. Hopefully our passion will heat up next time they hold it...

Glad to see you wearing your A's gear, Chris! The season is almost upon us - I can't wait!

We're in the bleachers for opening night against the Yankees. Should be awesome. :-)