Monday, July 04, 2005

Missing the Fireworks

The fireworks here in SF are scheduled to start in the next half-hour or so, and here I sit, in my room, with absolutely no intention of leaving the house until tomorrow morning. For the first time since 2001--and only the second time in my entire life--I'm missing live fireworks on the Fourth of July. And to be honest, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Fighting crowds and attempting to see the show through the city's notorious low-hanging fog (although this year it looks like it might actually be clear), I can certainly do without. I'm tired, I've got things to be working on and honestly, I'm sick of the ethno-centric American attitude.

What really bothers me is the song, and the general theology of, "God Bless America." Should people really be asking God to send blessings down on America as a country? Should the richest and most powerful nation in history (arguably) be petitioning the Lord of the Universe to bless it? One of my former roommates, and others (including a bumper sticker), says that we should turn that phrase into "America, Bless God!" Why do we insist on asking for more, rather than attempting to live our lives for the one who gave us everything we have? We ask God to bless our financial situation, rather than asking him to use our tithes and offerings to bless others.

Our brothers and sisters in the Middle East and other countries of the world struggle daily with fear of war and terrorism. It strikes once in the US, and the entire nation freaks out. At Yankee Stadium in New York, they still play "God Bless America" during every seventh inning stretch, a tradition that was started following 9/11. Even the tragedy of that day wasn't enough to bring America out of its ethno-centricity; if anything, it deepened it.

I don't think we should stop praying for God to bless people or aspects of our lives. I'm saying that we need to make sure that we are blessing God and living a life pleasing to Him. Plain and simple, that's my view. My Bible dictionary lists several definitions of "bless." Only in one definition is it referring to God's blessing of people (e.g. Psalm 33:12). The other four definitions are about men blessing God and others around us.

Take note, America. We need to be honoring God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the thoughts on blessing God. right on!