Saturday, July 16, 2005

It's Official!!

As many of you know, I have been in the application process to join Wycliffe Bible Translators since Novemer of last year. Though it's had its ups and downs, I've kept pressing on for about eight months, and just this week, I heard that I am officially a member of Wycliffe!

With this news comes a wave of emotions. Relief at the fact that the lengthy process is completed. Excitement that things are in motion for me to be moving overseas in the next year or so. Frustration at the thought of moving twice in the coming months (from SF to Michigan and then Michigan to DC for an internship). Some fright at leaving the US to live in the developing world, even though this is something that I've dreamed about for a long time.

Not the least of my emotions is confidence. (On second thought, is confidence an emotion? For the sake of argument today, let's say it is.) I am confident that this is the direction that God has called me--a lot of prayer has gone into this decision, and God has opened and closed the right doors at the right times. And in the same vein, I am confident that I will be able to do well in my future job, and will like living overseas.

My good friend Ryan, whose blog I was reading in between moments of typing this, just posted an interesting entry on his struggle with uncertainty as to his calling. I suppose I would be one of those people of whom he is jealous, because of my aforementioned confidence. (By the way, Ryan is one of my closest friends and I know he would love to engage in further dialogue on this topic; nothing I said here is meant in a negative way.)

So now I return to the long and tedious tasks involved with picking up and moving across the country. More boxes were packed today, probably the last until a few weeks before the move. But it all has a different tone now--I'M IN!!!!

3 comments:

Ems said...

Chris
Hope that the move goes well and there are no hiccups.
May God strengthen you and guide you through this exciting time.
Blessings
Emma

Natalie said...

Chris,
Congratulations! I know it's been a long time and a lot of praying and searching (and applying!), and now it's really happening for you! I'll be praying for you as you transition out of CSM, it was bittersweet for me, excited for the future, but sad to leave the city and relationships I had built.
Natalie

otomotis said...

Chris!
I just got connected to your blog via Emma!! I'm so excited for you! Many, many blessings to you! I too am leaving Hope for one year to go to grad school in Vermont... Hope all is well with you! Amy