Sunday, August 19, 2007

Vacationing Down South

Even though we live in Florida, Christie and I don't really live in "the" South. However, Georgia definitely qualifies as the South and that is where we found ourselves last week for a vacation. Some highlights:

--A visit to Christie's alma mater, LaGrange College.
--Seeing Callaway Gardens, a beautiful park at which Christie used to work. We did it by bike--which amounted to about 11 miles or so. We had a blast!
--My first visit to Turner Field in Atlanta to catch a Braves game. Besides being a great baseball game and watching Bobby Cox earn his record-setting 132nd ejection, I was able to notch up the 14th major league baseball park in which I've seen a game--I'm almost halfway to seeing all of them. (The game ended on a walk-off double by Chipper Jones...like I said, it was a great game!)
--A trip to Trader Joe's, everyone's favorite grocery store. This time, with no airline weight restrictions limiting us, we stocked up--including a cooler we snagged from Christie's parents. Nothing beats TJ's hummus, and Christie really likes some of their healthy snack food. I think this was the best part of the trip for her!
--Relaxing for the last half of the week a B&B for missionaries near Athens.
--The food was incredible, and classic for the South: Waffle House, soul food (including an all-you-can-eat buffet for only $8.50), BBQ, and sweet tea by the gallon for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Though it was a long drive, the trip was well worth it. We hadn't seen much of each other in the previous month because of the day camp which Christie was running, so we spent a lot of quality time together. I'll try to post pictures as soon as I can.

No comments: