Thursday, May 04, 2006

What if...

Many of us in the Christian world talk about what certain people could do if only they were Christians. "Wow, he would be an excellent preacher, if only he knew Jesus." People outside of the Christian community have skills and talents which could be put to use just as well for the Kingdom as they are being used in the secular world.

I had a thought today, reversing this idea. What would I be doing today if I was not a follower of Jesus? I recently met a pastor who, after a few minutes with me, said, "You seem like a sharp guy. You could be making a lot of money somewhere else, if you weren't in the ministry."

Whether he was right or not is debatable. However, I was talking with a friend today and I wondered aloud where I would be working if I were not a Christian--and God had not called me to be a missionary. She said I'd be good at sales. I suppose I'd be interested in making a lot of money, so maybe sales would be the way to go. I very easily could have gone down the business/accounting route in college, which possibly would have landed me a good job. Travel would probably still have been a passion, so I may have used my wealth to see the world.

However, Jesus came into my life, and now I try to live how I think He would have me live. And I wouldn't trade it for anything!

No comments: