Thursday, September 22, 2005

New Friends at Yankee Stadium

Here's a story that I absolutely had to post...I only wish I had been able to do it sooner. This is one of the craziest "small world" stories of my life, and if you know me, you know there's been many!

I went to Yankee Stadium only to see the stadium. I can't stand the Yankees, and was not really a Baltimore fan (although I was on Monday!). After being thoroughly unimpressed with the park itself, and settling in to watch two teams that I didn't care about, by myself, I was thinking it was going to be a very long game.

Then, a couple sitting behind me had to move down to my row, after they realized they were in the wrong seats. Amazingly enough, they were Baltimore fans--now I had someone to root with! I began talking with them, and the topic turned to our jobs. When I told the husband about CSM and what they did, he said, "Oh, a friend of mine is trying to start that here in New York."

He didn't have to say anymore. I knew that his friend was Cindy, whom I worked for in Chicago and has been in NY for a year attempting to start our site there. They knew all about CSM, and the wife had even had breakfast with Cindy that morning. (And I was having breakfast with her the following morning!)

10 million people or whatever live in NYC, I know two (a friend from college also lives there), and I wind up sitting next to a close friend of a co-worker! What are the chances? The three of us had a great time cheering on Baltimore together for the rest of the game, although were disappointed when the Yanks won on a walk-off homer...which landed only three seats away from us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Reminds me of the time I was at a Giants playoff game with Walter and Walter noticed the guy sitting next to him had a Calvin class ring on. Turns out he graduated just before us and was friends with one of my friends.

I like to think that one of the joys of heaven could be reviewing all the times in our lives we came "this close" to people we had connections with and didn't realize it at the time. Sometimes I think we'd have a whole new perspective on life and how we treat one another if only we knew just how interconnected we all are.

By the way Chris, my friend Walter was at the Yankees/Orioles game on Tuesday night, I believe. :-)

Natalie said...

How crazy is that! I am so jealous of all your adventures, you have been everywhere! I hope you had fun with Cindy, any more progress with her and CSM-New York?