Monday, September 05, 2005

"KatrinaGate"

Here's an interesting column from the BBC about the media's attack on the federal government's response, or lack thereof, to the hurricane. I very much appreciate the fact that people are speaking out, especially as it was New Orleans' most vulnerable citizens who were herded into the Superdome--with full knowledge that it could turn real ugly, real fast.

The reports coming out of the Gulf Coast have urged me to do something. This is a time in my life--these next few months--where I don't have a job, and it dawned on me that I am in a perfect position to volunteer down there for a few weeks. After making some phone calls to both the Salvation Army and Red Cross, I'll probably go with the Army after I get back from my travels in the middle of October. I was ready to drop everything and leave today, but I need to go through a brief training and have to go down with a scheduled group...which wouldn't be for another six days or so. This makes October the best option. If any of you friends of mine are interested in going with me, or knows anyone, please let me know! It'd be great to go with a friend or two.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I would love to go with you if I could Chris! My heart has been breaking hearing all of the news, and I wish I could be down there to help out. I just have to keep thinking that when I am done with school I can really help people medically, so I better keep studying....I'll be praying for you, and hopefully a friend or two could meet up with you to help out!
Nat