Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Does a Degree Matter?

I was talking with a colleague today about college degrees. Do the degrees do anything for us? Most of the people I graduated with are working in something completely outside of their major(s). I'm sure much of the same is true for others as well. For the role in which I'm currently serving, I probably "should" have majored in business administration. Instead I was a social studies major--with an elementary teaching certificate to boot. Yet I would say that my college education prepared me extremely well for this role.

Of course, the value is not as much in the degree itself and even less so what your major was (with a few exceptions), but more so in the college experience as a whole (the degree is only a representation of that experience). When I got home tonight, I read an interesting article from Crown Ministries on this very topic. A couple pull-out quotes, if you don't have time to read the whole article:

On average, every dollar that is put toward education translates into $34.85 earned income over the individual's lifetime, an investment yield any broker would envy.

____________________________________________________________________________________

According to Michael Hampton at Western Oregon University, "Unless you are going to be an engineer, architect, teacher, or lawyer, the label on your degree does not matter. The degree is a check-mark (as opposed to the focus) in most job requirements. Many job ads will state: 'Business, Communications or other degree required.' Most folks have the 'other.' "

____________________________________________________________________________________
Earning your degree goes well past the finances. According to Katherine Hansen, with Quintessential Careers, your degree pays dividends in other areas, including:
* longer life-spans,
* greater economic stability and security,
* greater job satisfaction,
* less dependence on government assistance,
* greater participation in leisure and artistic activities,
* greater community service and leadership, and
* more self-confidence.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Very interesting...count me as one of the "few" who needed my degree to say social work in order to work where I do. But I think the article is dead on for a lot of people!

Little Nova said...

I dunno... :)

I think there is a difference between a career and a job. If you are going to college to secure a high paying job, then experience might outweigh a diploma...But, if you ever plan on having a rewarding career and being a contributing member in your field---I believe a degree is essential.

I think it also depends on the major. It's unfair to generalize all higher education as expendable . Some majors require field work over academia. The guy who commented from Western Oregon University was in the field of advertising for most of his career. He himself holds a BA and an MA. While he may not have needed it to secure his job as a marketing executive---I bet it opened doors.

A degree opens doors. For some, it's vital to continuing research and for others it's proof that you have the critical thinking needed to do your job---even if the degree is outside your major. (Like in your case, Chris...)

I returned back to school at 26 and spent a fortune. But, it was the best investment I ever made. Gabe, too.