Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Scary Big City? Worse...

I'm not scared of big cities. I'm scared of big malls. At the moment, I'm sitting in Woofield Mall in suburban Chicago, the largest in the area.

My thought is that they are built to scare people. Too many stores on too many levels, with too few directional markers and maps. It's like trying to navigate the streets of an old European city (curvey, narrow and confusing) with maps only at the major intersections where cars are careening at each other at 60 mph, and everyone crowding around to figure out where they're going.

Give me downtown Chicago any day, over this madness I'm experiencing right now.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I so agree about the malls! I'm now in Minneapolis visiting my sister & we went the Mall of America, craziness! Give me a downtown and navigating anyday over that madness (and especially at Christmas!)