Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Price is Right

"The Price is Right" is just not the same without Rod Roddy, who passed away back in 2003. For the first time since his passing, I watched part of an episode today, and the flair of hearing Rod yell "Come on down!" and seeing him in his vibrantly-colored jackets was all gone. Whoever replaced him has a good voice and is professional, but I think it's one of those things that because Rod was such an icon, he can never be replaced.

Sports fans in the Bay Area recently felt a similar loss. Bill King, who at one point was the play-by-play announcer for the Oakland A's, Oakland Raiders and Golden State Warriors simultaneously, passed away a few weeks ago. Though I have only been a die-hard A's fan for a few years, I grieved his loss. As the A's announcer since 1981, he was the A's to many people. He was the main reason I purchased a package this season that allowed me to listen to any baseball game at any time, as long as I had an Internet connection--I never missed listening to Bill for lack of a radio feed. Much has been written about Bill's passing so I'll let others say it better than me, but I had to write about this great loss for the Bay Area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve and I were equally saddened by Bill King's sudden death... I too loved listening to his play by play account of the game -- he really made the game "come alive".

On another note, hope all is well with you Chris!! We miss you out here!

Anonymous said...

I was in total shock when I heard Bill died. Holy. Toledo. I never knew I could grieve for a radio personality, but I am...big time. I just feel lucky that I had the chance to hear him on the radio for the few years I've been out here... he really was special.

A's games just won't be the same next year without you and Bill around, Chris. Seriously, if they trade Zito or something over the winter, it won't even feel like the A's anymore. Maybe I'll have to become a Giants fan...

Yeah, right.

Go A's!